When looking at this piece, I can understand how someone with a camera can easily influence the normally pure, untouched nature of whatever event or series of events being studied. Merely the dress, mannerisms, skin tone, and of course the camera itself can have an effect on how the situation plays. However, what I fail to understand is how Kien Ket Lim is able to draw the conclusion that the actors in the Hauka are somehow using the presence of Rouch to get the attention of their white "fathers". Sure, it's a possibility of what the participants of the Hauka are trying to do, but I fail to see any evidence of what would compel them to look for the approval of the colonials. It would seem as though they are degrading themselves, putting themselves below the colonial population because they feel the need to seek their recognition. What could possibly be gained from that recognition? Perhaps, Lim suggests that they seek pity for their situation, whether it be cultural or monetary or anything that those in the Hauka feel that they lack in relation to the white population of the area.
On a different note, I wonder what effect the commentary of Rouch had on the supposed desired effect that the Hauka had hoped to achieve. I felt as though Rouch was embellishing upon the fanaticism of the ritual, adding perhaps undue and inaccurate color and flourish to a ritual that he probably knew so little of. While it may have done more to attract the attention of the "white fathers", I could see how it would add some effects and impressions that would have otherwise been unwanted by the Hauka participants.
No comments:
Post a Comment