Friday, October 31, 2014

American Exceptional-ism and Cultural Exchange


Doostdar writes: “The novelist and journalist Michael Muhammad Knight has recently argued that his own flirting with jihad in the Chechen war of the 1990s did not grow out of his then commitment to Salafi Islam, but from American values: ‘I had grown up in the Reagan ‘80s. I learned from G.I. Joe cartoons to (in the words of the theme song) ‘fight for freedom, wherever there’s trouble.’ I assumed that individuals had the right—and the duty—to intervene anywhere on the planet where they perceived threats to freedom, justice, and equality’” How can Doostdar’s use of the phrase “American values” be perceived, understood: ironically? a self-indictment? a sardonic critique of what is assumed uniquely American? Incidentally, Doostdar’s invoking of a notion of values as uniquely American in itself points towards the very thing she criticizes: that is, the reality of events, or simultaneously the irreality of events, being solely disseminated and comprehended through a Western/American ideological framework (the structure of which is continually implemented and perpetuated by transparency of Western media). The phrase itself again points further towards the notion of cultural exchange: more precisely, what becomes invisible/obscured/lost in cultural exchange? 

No comments:

Post a Comment