Sunday, October 12, 2014

Noble


            I once read an article on The New Yorker on the self-immolation protests of Tibentan monks in China. I remember (though not certainly) that the Dahlai Lama, responded to such protests, that if setting yourself on fire was motivated by anger, than that practice was the religiously righteous. These kinds of extreme acts, like the ones described in the article always drives me to awe. As a person who takes faith seriously, I find them also, worth celebrating –not balloons and cake celebrating, but to sit in silence and revere the beauty of their strengths and volition.
            I’ve always admired the Jains. As a student who studies and practices Non Violent Communication (NVC) I’ve always thought that their agency was noble. In my own practice of NVN (which is a way founded by Marshall Rosenburg that I first learned of three summers ago and have since been on a path to integrate fully in my life), I’ve sat with the question of self-regulation vs. compassion. Both feels in tuned with the path I am choosing to walk on, but walking between them is sometimes tricky. Passed my early trainings, and “glowy stage,” when I started to confront more challenges and doubts, I held on to discipline as a way to respond. Discipline felt like something I never fully achieved in life, often I am told that I am enthusiastic and spontaneous, not controlled or reserved. So I tried that for a year or so, but this summer my practice led me to focus on being gentle and compassionate towards myself. And although my intention on discipline has enriched my practice in many ways, it has also deprived me of feeling not enough.
            “What blind most of us to this realization and makes us behave with wanton disregard for other lives, and so for our own real interests, are our passion.” As a passionate person, I felt guilty and worried reading this. Am I trapping my immortal soul in my mortal body because I love? Maybe I am relating so personally to the values of Jainism because I agree with the logic and I see it with admiration.  

No comments:

Post a Comment