Tuesday, October 14, 2014
Suicide Bombing's Equivalency With "Western Warfare"
I found myself to be in agreement with most the parallels Talal Asad drew between what we in the West conceive of as appropriate means of warfare and suicide bombing. Assad discusses that terror and the killing of civilians are not exclusive to suicide bombers and that governments produce these outcomes when engaging in "sanctioned acts of war." When the US or any other "liberal" country engages in war there are civilians killed. What I disagree with is that Asad suggests that when there are soldiers that die fighting for their country this is essentially equivalent to the sacrifices of suicide bombers (individuals dying for their country/cause). After drawing this equivalency Asad looks for another aspect that has caused the horror of Western viewers when confronted with suicide bombing. I do not feel that we can draw such a neat parallel between the death of a soldier in a Western military and that of a suicide bomber. Western observers are horrified by suicide bombers because these men have accepted certain death. Western soldiers go to war and do everything to avoid death, and the news of any fatality is received with great sadness. I think that it is the acceptance of certain death, not willingness to sacrifice oneself that might be at the root of the dichotomy in reactions.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
"I think that it is the acceptance of certain death, not willingness to sacrifice oneself that might be at the root of the dichotomy in reactions."
ReplyDelete- I think you made a solid point here but just to play devil's advocate, is it possible to separate these two ideas so clearly from one another? It seems to me that in accepting one's own certain death you must also willing to sacrifice yourself. I think it's difficult to say that soldiers are trying to avoid death when they are by nature putting themselves in death's way. While they certainly aren't being reckless with their lives I don't believe they aren't resolved to sacrifice their life it that's necessary. While the comparison isn't person, I think the mindset of self-sacrifice for what one believes in is universal, in the moment, even if the causes are varied.