Thursday, September 4, 2014

More On Hypocrisy: Anti-Gay Group Protests Michael Sam

Links: 
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/09/04/conservative-christians-plan-protest-boycott-of-dallas-cowboys-over-michael-sam-signing/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/09/04/michael-sam-cowboys-protest-gay_n_5765740.html

For anyone who isn't an NFL fan, let me summarize what's going on here. Michael Sam was drafted to the St. Louis Rams this past year. He didn't make the final roster and was cut from the team this last week. Then, the Dallas Cowboys picked him up for their practice squad. Oh. And he's gay. The media storm that has surrounded Michael Sam due to his sexual orientation has been astounding, and now that he's on a practice squad (not even the real team) the hubbub hasn't decreased. 

I am a Christian. I shouldn't be quiet about that. I've done hypocritical things and without a doubt I've sinned, according to the Bible's definition, countless times. What irritates the fire out of me about this whole issue is that groups who allegedly base themselves off christian morals of grace, forgiveness, and love are attempting to slander, judge, and alienate a man out of hate and fear.

I honestly had never met a gay person until I came to Hopkins. I grew up in an extremely conservative environment where we avoided talking about topical current events if they made us uncomfortable. I've changed vehemently in my past 3 years here and now quotes like, "I don’t want my kids looking up to me and say, ‘Daddy, what does that mean that he’s gay?" and "We cannot just stand idly by as Christian values and morals are trampled," that appear in these articles do less to enrage me and more disappoint me. 

Hypocrisy is something I think is interesting to talk about in all religions, not just Christianity, because you see people dedicate their lives to sacred scripts and completely devote themselves and change their lives to abide by them, then go and completely disregard them in a moment's notice with no apparent regard. 1 Corinthians 6:9 pretty explicitly lists homosexuality as a sin. Okay. This may be what the groups are basing their protests off of. 1 Corinthians 5:12-13 states pretty explicitly that you should not judge those outside the Church (or inside the Church for that matter). 1 Corinthians 13 is the famous love chapter of the Bible that you hear in wedding vows all the time. So to compile these three notes in the same book of 1 Corinthians: 1. Homosexuality is a sin. 2. Don't judge others. 3. Love others, and love them with patience and kindness, etc. No where does it say to protest gay rights. You may believe homosexuality is wrong, but it would be hypocritical to do anything but love homosexuals. 

That's just me ranting. Please let me know your opinions. I'm not sure if I followed the correct format for the assignment or not here. 

Jason Blades

No comments:

Post a Comment