Sunday, September 21, 2014

Cassettes in other societies?

Hirschkind emphasizes that cassettes were already a part of Muslims' ordinary life, and that Muslims' lives do not only center around the common stereotype of violence and terrorism. The sermons on tape have helped increase morality and religious awareness. Something I wondered while reading about this is: Would cassettes work in other societies and even, other time periods? I believe that cassettes in the United States in current years would increase curiosity but wouldn't increase morality and religious awareness. I think Americans are much more prone to talk about things but in the end, not follow after them. Muslims, on the other hand, (this is a huge generalization, but I get this sense form the book) seem much more passionate about the things that come their way shown by them taking the cassette tapes so seriously. Directly after any war period in the United States, I think cassettes would be taken seriously. I think people's hearts would be more open to trying new things and therefore may take in the cassette talk.

No comments:

Post a Comment