Diane Benscoter speaks for TEDtalks from the perspective of someone who was sucked into a cult, escaped the cult and then tried to help others escape from a cult. In the moment, when you're surrounded by people who are so passionate that it's almost an unhealthy amount, it's tough to think for yourself and furthermore, disagree. She claims that when you've found yourself within this eager and excited group, "anything is possible and able to be found rational" because you consider everything that you do good and everything the others do, bad. Therefore, the only way to solve the cult mentality is to realize that we're all similar and that even though we disagree, we're all humans who are allowed to have different opinions.
The talk can be found on:
https://www.ted.com/talks/ex_moonie_diane_benscoter_how_cults_think#t-357732
While I agree that this us-versus-them mentality makes any action seem rational, possible and even right, I disagree that the way to overcome this is to get some perspective and realize that we are all humans who are allowed to disagree. I haven't made my mind up on what would solve this us-versus-them mentality, but I definitely don't agree with Benscoter here. Any interpretations?
Thanks!
Gabi Rothman
No comments:
Post a Comment