Collaboration
is powerful because I alone am limited in my own norms and beliefs. The way I
was brought up, when and where I was, and countless other things have
contributed to my personal normalcy. So without the willingness in my heart to
be open and curious instead of evaluative or prejudiced, I will be limited in
experiencing the present through the narrow lens of my past.
It
triggers me to try to understand the co-existence of contrasting ideas or
values. I don’t like to be wrong. It’s challenging to accept that what I
believe is wrong can be right. If I go to far with this train of thought I
sometimes experience a mini existential crisis. If everything has equal weight,
if there is no right or wrong, nothing matters!
But
I know that isn’t true, and I pull myself out of that vicious cycle by
reminding myself of the preciousness of humanity. For pretty selfish reasons, I
continue to battle with opening my heart, so I can experience life fully.
The
first chapters of the Politics of Piety triggered my sense of protection
acceptance and non-judgment. The opening chapter describes “the strong
responses from feminists.” “Women Islamist supporters are pawns in a grand
patriarchical plan, who, if freed from their bondage, would naturally express
their instinctual abhorrence for the traditional Islamic mores used to enchain
them.” This kind of argument, which I am not surprised by, completely corrupts
the integrity and autonomy of these Muslim women, for the sake of satisfying a
mere “Western-savior” complex.
No comments:
Post a Comment